As soon as the doctor told me that I would need to have a c-section with Dante I had it in my head that I wanted to have a VBAC with my next child. I had a completely pleasant c-section and am not against them in any way, but it is still major surgery, and I wanted to avoid it if I could. Plus Dante was only 19 months old when Leela was born and I was terrified that he would jump on me and split my incision open. There are 5 doctors in the practice that I go to and you have to rotate through all of them since you don’t know which one will be on call the night you go into labor. All of the doctors were open to a VBAC but based on little comments I could tell that one of them was not super thrilled with it but still allowed them.
My pregnancy with Leela was fairly easy, but I was so ready to have this baby, as every miserable pregnant woman is at the end. On Friday July 18th I decided to take Dante to the science center to get out of the house and distract myself. I definitely over worked myself and thought to myself, if this doesn’t put me into labor I don’t know what will. That evening around 3pm I lost my mucus plus and at 5 pm I started getting crampy. I timed my contractions from 6 pm-12:30 am and they were approximately 8 minutes apart, but nothing too painful. I finally fell asleep on the couch a little after midnight but woke up about 2 am. I tried to get comfortable on the couch again, but at 2:20 am my water broke. There was so much fluid I had to change like 5 times!
We called my mother and father in law to come over to watch Dante and we headed to the hospital about 3:30 am. I was only 1 cm when I got checked, which was disappointing, and the nurse told us to be prepared for a long day and to have the baby at 6pm. I labored from 3:30am to 7 am and contractions were getting much stronger and painful and I really wanted the epidural. I got to 3 cm at 8 am and they did the epidural. I started feeling much better pretty quickly. They then started the Pitocin at a low dose. The doctor that was on call ended up being the one that was not totally thrilled about VBAC’s but the nurses were very supportive and told me that they would be my advocate and not to let doctor pressure me into another c-section. I got to rest for a little while which was a relief since I had been up all night already. I was very surprised when the nurses checked me at 10 am and I had progressed to 8 cm! At 10:30 am I felt a lot of pressure and I was already 10 cm…time to push.
Everything was happening much faster than I expected. This phase was so uncomfortable and pushing actually made it better. After about 20 minutes of pushing the doctor came in and I kept pushing with her. I started tearing and the doctor said it would be better if she cut me and at that point I didn’t really care. Joe was watching the whole time while holding my leg back and was horrified. Finally the babies head came out, but then her shoulders got stuck. When the doctor said shoulder dystocia I got very nervous. They started calling in other nurses and the one nurse was pushing down very hard on my stomach. She finally came out and they put her on my chest, but not for very long because they had to check her shoulder. Leela Michele Wawrykow was born on 7/19/14 at 11:15 am, 8 lbs. 1 oz. 22 inches
After what seemed like forever, they said Leela was going to be ok. The doctor then got the placenta out and started stitching me up. They brought Leela back over to me to do skin to skin and she latched on almost immediately and ate for almost 45 minutes. Contractions hurt so much, I don’t know how people do it without an epidural. I was happy that I got to have a natural delivery and not another c section since I was able to be up and walking around pretty quickly. We were able to leave the hospital 24 hours later and start life as a family of 4!